School officials say they are working toward addressing more than $1 million in “critical” safety upgrades outlined in a district-funded independent audit conducted late last year. They acknowledge, though, that few of those 33 recommendations called for to be implemented “immediately” have been put in place.
“Very, very few of the recommendations have been addressed,” School Safety Liaison Robert F. Pezzella told the Sun in a phone interview Tuesday, June 7. “However, I’m confident that the majority of the critical recommendations will be addressed by the end of the [2016-17] school year.”
Sixty “high” priority upgrades suggested to be completed within 6-12 months of the Nov. 30, 2015, report would cost an additional estimated $1.9 million. Another 63 “medium to low” priority upgrades would cost $2.2 million and should be completed in 2-3 years, the audit said. The report covered 15 of the city’s 45 schools.
Log in or subscribe to read the entire story. Only $2. No recurring charges.