Advocates pounce as automatic voter registration now law in 10 states | A law signed by Illinois Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner after unanimous passage in the Legislature there “creates more accessible and secure elections by automatically registering voters unless they opt out of the program,” noted members of the Election Modernization Coalition in a statement that urged Massachusetts to “lead the way.”
Last week’s most popular articles:
- Mariano: We have no choice: Trump must go!
- Wachusett’s Catalina vies for NFL roster spot
- Joe’s Albums helps lead resurgence of vinyl, Main Street retail
- Free!: Meet Worcester’s clinical trial pioneers
- Worcester’s Yiadom primed for big season for BC football
- Sina-cism: If taxpayers don’t pay, PawSox can come
Free to read!
Simon Says Give packs a serious charitable punch | After starting the Worcester chapter of the Minnesota-based nonprofit earlier this year, one Forest Grove middle-schooler has donated more than 168 backpacks filled with school supplies and celebrated two birthdays since April. Some 120 of those backpacks were delivered to Woodland Street Academy and Columbus Park and presented to the graduating sixth-grade classes.
Baker won’t get involved in crowded GOP primary vying to oust Warren | The governor, who almost certainly will share the ballot with the GOP nominee as he runs for a second term, has said very little about Sen. Elizabeth Warren in his two-plus years in office, and indicated earlier this week he’s not inclined to get involved in his party’s primary when more conservative voters could play an outsized role in choosing a nominee.
Sun Spots with Hitch [Vol. 193]: On the campaign trail with Elizabeth Warren | The only thing Republicans love more than shoveling trillions of dollars into the gilded pockets of the military-industrial complex is dreaming up ways to rid themselves of the grand sorceress of fiscal accountability — and liberal nonsense — known as Elizabeth Warren. In the Bay State, the GOP is already flush with candidates to vie for her Senate seat in 2018. Hitch does a little math for an early outlook on the race.
We’re starting to think Hitch has a thing for Elizabeth Warren:
- Warren, McGovern and Markey — oh my!
- Elizabeth Warren has a fever
- Tuning out Elizabeth Warren
- Warren’s Songs in the Key of Strife
- Elizabeth Warren, the Constitution and you
Editorial: Labor Day, education and robots | As we get ready to celebrate the 130th anniversary of Labor Day in Massachusetts, we note the holiday had traditionally signified the beginning of school. Two recent studies suggest that never in history has the connection between education and employment been more apparent. However, while one paper defines the problem, the other clearly spells out a solution.
Check back Sunday for more from the Sun Football Forecast: Upcoming stories include a preview of the powerful St. John’s squad, a profile of new St. Peter-Marian coach Justin McKay and a feature on diminutive yet dominant Tajon Vassar, Doherty’s latest emerging star.
- Local football stars to watch on Saturdays and Sundays | So, if you want to keep track of the Worcester County boys now playing at football’s highest levels, you’ve come to the right place. Here is a handy list of, and outlook for, every CMass native playing in the NFL and the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision.
- Worcester’s Yiadom primed for big senior season at BC | The Doherty legend’s name has come up a lot more in talks about the best players in the formidable Atlantic Coast Conference. But to senior DB Isaac Yiadom, that’s all just noise. “I don’t really listen to any of that, I just have to keep doing what I always do.”
- Wachusett’s Tyler Catalina hopes to earn NFL roster spot | “I’ve got to keep working and showing the coaches I can handle anything they throw at me.” Those coaches, it seems, have seen something from the 325-pounder, who is in position to vie for a backup role on the Washington Redskins offensive line.
Inbox [Aug. 30]: News and notes from Jeremiah’s Inn, Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund, Our Revolution, Communicators Club, NAMI Central Mass. | Have news you or your group would like to share? Let us know by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include a link to the full release on your site or Facebook page so we can include it and send Sun members your way.