Have a release or a photo you or your group would like to share? Let us know by emailing it to email@example.com. Be sure to include a link to the full release on your site or Facebook page so we can include it and send Sun members your way.
SeedMA pilot program kicks off, offering $50 to Worcester kindergartners
SeedMA, a three-year pilot program to help Worcester families invest in their child’s post-high school education and training, kicked off yesterday with an event at the EcoTarium
The program provides kindergarten students in the Worcester Public School System with an initial $50 deposit to establish a Massachusetts 529 college savings account (also known as the U.Fund College Investing Plan).
The program was designed by the state Treasurer’s Office and Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority.
Greater Worcester Community Foundation announces fall Nonprofit Support Center workshops
Greater Worcester Community Foundation’s Nonprofit Support Center recently announced seven program for the fall.
The Nonprofit Support Center provides nonprofit organizations in Worcester County training, tools and support to successfully carry out their missions.
The programs are:
- WHAT THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR WANTS YOU TO KNOW (before Dec. 1), noon-1:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 20
- ARE YOU READY? CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS FOR NONPROFITS, 9 a.m.-noon, Thursday, Sept. 29
- SABBATICAL: HOW TO TAKE A BREAK FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION, noon-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 5
- A CONSTRUCTIVE AND PRACTICAL GUIDE TO EVALUATING YOUR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S PERFORMANCE, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 20
- KEYS TO SUCCESSFUL GRANTWRITING, 9 a.m.-noon, Wednesday, Nov. 2
- YES, YOU CAN ASK FOR BIG GIFTS: Using face-to-face personal solicitation, 9 a.m.-noon, Thursday, Nov. 17
- DEVELOPING THE LEADERS YOU NEED: What You and Your Organization Can Learn From The YMCA, noon-1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 30
WCLOC holding auditions for ‘Little Shop of Horrors’
The Worcester County Light Opera Company will hold auditions for its December production of “Little Shop of Horrors”.
Auditions will be 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, and 6:30-10 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 30.
Rehearsals for the production, directed by Jeremy Woloski with music direction by Lenny McGuire, begin Sept. 25. Show dates are Dec. 2-4 and 8-11.
McGovern announces $1.4M FAA grant for Worcester Airport
U.S. Rep.James P. McGovern, D-2nd, announced Worcester Regional Airport has been awarded a $1.4 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration to install taxiway lighting. The new federal funding will allow Massport to install a Surface Movement Guidance and Control (SMGCS) lighting system on a taxiway to Runway 11-29 to enhance safe airfield operations during low visibility conditions.
“With this grant, Worcester Regional Airport will have the resources they need to continue to grow and make this a convenient and affordable options for Worcester residents,” Congressman McGovern said. “Bringing federal dollars back to Worcester to support our local economy has always been one of my top priorities. With this new funding, Worcester Airport will be able to install taxiway lighting that will help to ensure continued service even during inclement weather with low visibility. I am proud to have strong partners with the FAA supporting our region’s economy and thank Massport for all that they are doing to help Worcester airport grow and succeed.”
— Cindy Henderson