January 13, 2018

Worcester Sun, Jan. 13-20: Mariano’s ideas for a better Worcester, the ballad of Duke Levine, Reliant moves, WooSox + more

Print More

iStock / Getty Images / Sean Pavone

Worcester

Sun columnist

Mariano: Ideas worth considering for Worcester

Ray Mariano

“It is important that city officials focus on the day-to-day operation of our city departments – on routine services, both big and small, that we receive. Many departments do a good job, but all of them can do better. Here are a few ideas worth considering.”

Music

Nate Dow / courtesy

Duke Levine

The ballad of Duke Levine |  His guitar, talent and drive have taken Worcester-born Duke Levine on a long, successful career, from his start at city haunts such as Ralph’s Diner to tours and records with the likes of Mary Chapin Carpenter, Peter Wolf and the Del Fuegos.

The Big Picture

Sun graphic / Amy M. Capobianco

(Source: coinmarketcap.com)

Blockchain, not Bitcoin, is the future of cryptocurrency |  Until recently, Bitcoin controlled 85 percent of the total cryptocurrency market value, or market cap. The other 15 percent was split between more than 680 competitors. But as Bitcoin’s price began to take off, competitors like Ethereum and Ripple XRP grew faster.

Worcester Sun photo

Reliant Medical Group is moving many of its area offices and services to 5 Neponset St.

Reliant announces details of Worcester move |  Reliant purchased the building at 5 Neponset St. for $10.25 million as part of a corporate strategy to move away from leased space. Current Reliant offices at 135 Gold Star Blvd., 300 Grove St., 191 May St., 425 Lake Avenue North and 630 Plantation St. will see their departments move, most to Neponset Street.

Sun Spots with Hitch [Vol. 232]: On Rhode Island’s WooSox curveball |  For a while it seemed most folks in the Ocean State wanted the Pawtucket Red Sox to move to Worcester as much as anyone in the City of Seven Hills this side of Jake the Lion and the Creedon family. But the team is inextricably linked to its community, and politicians with visions of extra revenue dancing in their heads often have trouble sticking to their guns when the real votes come around. Hitch, for one, thinks we’ve seen this movie before.

Editorial: A cleaner city is at your fingertips |  A little extra care loading the recycling bin would help a lot in keeping litter where it belongs, especially on windy days. And when trash does get loose, please pick it up — even if it’s not “yours” — because those eyesores are everybody’s.

Sun columnist

Flickr / Evan Guest

President Trump

Sina-cism: Adam Smith’s cure for Trump Derangement Syndrome |  “Now, the wine is drained, the sweet cheats gone. The sound of the angry commuting horn is once again heard in the land. What will 2018 bring? To hear many tell the tale, 2018 will be a race: Will the forces of good impeach an insane Donald Trump before he can ignite a global nuclear cataclysm? I very much doubt that we will, a year hence, be remembering 2018 in such terms.”

College notebook

The Quad [Jan. 13-20]: Four things to know from Clark, Becker, QCC and Anna Maria |  Have campus news you or your college or university organization would like to share? Let us know by emailing it to info@worcester.ma. Be sure to send a link to the full release on your site or Facebook page so we can include it and point Sun members your way.

Flickr / Mass. Office of Travel & Tourism

Worcester Art Museum

Worcester Weekly: ‘Dangerous Liaisons,’ Railers + more, Jan. 13-20 |  The most fun you’ll have with a calendar of events all week. And you just might learn something, too. Here are some of the best things to do, places to go — and reasons why — over the next few days.

Courtesy BCI

Jessica Stott

Inbox [Jan. 13-20]: News and notes from the Girl Scouts, You Inc., UniBank and more |  Have news you or your group would like to share? Let us know by emailing it to info@worcester.ma. Be sure to include a link to the full release on your site or Facebook page so we can include it and send Sun members your way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *